The Historical Society is looking for appropriate names for the streets in the new subdivisions that we can suggest to the township. We are considering some aboriginal names, and war veterans.|
Do you have any ideas? If so, please contact us.
Please phone me if you have any questions.
King Township's Amazing Olympic History
King Township Historical Society Presents Our King Olympians
Can any other community in the world boast as many Olympians per person as King Township?
With a population of well under twenty-five thousand, King is the birthplace, training ground, residence or retirement retreat of an incredible number of Olympians. For over sixty years, athletes with King in their past or future have competed on the trampoline, the track, the rink, the rowing course and, in history-making numbers, on horseback.
The King Township Historical Society has created this 4-panel photographic display and accompanying brochure to celebrate our amazing Olympic record.
The display may also be seen at the King Township Museum, 2920 King Road, through December 2013. In January 2014, the posters move to the King City Secondary School library and then in February to King City Public School.
Schools, community organizations and libraries are welcome to book display dates. Kindly make requests at “Contact Us” on the King Township Historical Society webpage.
First prize, $100, went to Angela Olver of Nobleton for her painting “The Hambly House: Past and Present.” Judges Ed Bartram and Mary Bromley, both King Township artists, said: “Angela has rendered the Hambly House with an exciting presence that immediately captures the viewer’s interest. This image radiates joy and competence that is exceptional for a grade 9 student.”
Lee He, a Richmond Hill resident, won the $75 second prize for her imaginative painting “Time,” called by the judges “a well designed concept of time passing by having the figure divide a rather dreary time-present from a very colourfully imagined time-past.”
Apple Liu, also of Richmond Hill, took the $50 third prize for her painting “The Octagonal Deadhouse,” a landmark in the King City cemetery once used for housing the dead before burial. Praising the artist’s competence, the judges noted: “Without knowing what a ‘deadhouse’ is, the viewer gets a foreboding sense of mystery.”
The contest, open to all students, ran from September, 2012 until the end of May, 2013 under the supervision of Teresa Chan, the school’s head of visual arts. A dozen works were submitted. The three winners are currently exhibited at the King Township Libraries.
The Life and Times of the One Room Schools in King Township |
Come take a tour of the Virtual Museum of Canada starting with
"The Life and Times of the One Room Schools in King Township"
for the Virtual Museum of Canada, click here.
King Railway Station
King Township Museum
Toronto Carrying Place
Ed Millar and John Manson
(Original KTHS member and
honorary "Station Master")
John Smithyes and Alden Winter
at the Hwy 9 Cairn
Click here for a close-up of the plaque
Church (on Museum Site)
Jesse Lloyd, son of Quaker parents who migrated from Pennsylvania to settle in Upper Canada in 1788, moved with his family to a new home in King Township
in 1812. He married Phoebe Crossley and together they played a major role in the founding of the community that grew up around the mills and other
businesses, becoming Lloyd's Town, then Lloydtown. As a thriving centre for a developing agricultural area, the town- and Jesse - prospered.
One day the Lloyd family's servant girl died unexpectedly; Jesse generously set aside a parcel of his farm as a burial ground in 1834. Not long afterward, one of his own children, daughter Hannah, died and was laid to rest on the knoll then known as Lloyd's Cemetery.
Meanwhile wider events overtook Jesse Lloyd as William Lyon Mackenzie, an outspoken Toronto editor, led a growing opposition to the British colonial 'Family Compact;' Jesse took an active role in aiding Mackenzie's republican demands for political reform of Upper Canada's governance. In October 1837 an armed rebellion was attempted by Mackenzie's volunteers but quickly defeated by the government troops. In the aftermath of the uprising, many of the 'rebels' were jailed, two leaders hanged and the prominent dissenter Jesse Lloyd escaped over the border into Indiana where he remained in exile until his death in 1838.
Although the Mackenzie rebellion in itself was unsuccessful, it was reported by Lord Durham to the imperial officials in London who drafted significant reforms leading to responsible government in the Canadas. This connection with Lloyd and the 1837 revolt give the cemetery a unique and important position in local and national history.
After Jesse's death, the once flourishing community declined and was by-passed by railways, resulting in failure of local industries. Phoebe Lloyd lived to be a very old woman and was laid to rest in the cemetery on the family farm. In 1844 a Wesleyan Methodist church was built opposite the cemetery, implying association with that denomination rather than that of the Quaker faith of the Lloyds. In 1908 fire destroyed the Methodist church which was not rebuilt.
A detailed listing of stones and inscriptions in the cemetery, including a photographic record, has been made by the Toronto Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, titled "Lloydtown Pioneer Cemetery (Lloydtown)." This study records 138 stones, some detailing several family members, but some of the monuments are no longer legible. For this reason it is difficult to estimate the total number of burials, although there is firm evidence of at least 275 individual names. These represent a cross section of the Lloydtown population, including well known local families. The publication contains maps of the cemetery.
In the 1990s many concerned residents and descendants of the families
The municipal Council on the advice of the Township of King Heritage Committee voted to designate the cemetery as a "Heritage Site" to preserve its integrity and demonstrate respect for past generations. A group of Horticultural Society volunteers gave the grounds a make-over with new shrubs and careful pruning. It is now a verdant haven, offering the visitor quiet testament to a long ago bustling village.